Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

I was so sad when Ryan's Grill in Ward Centre closed down. For many years it was a favorite gathering place for both my family and my friends. Similarly Kincaid's, formerly Horatio's, at the now demolished Ward Warehouse was, too. I always ordered the pea salad that both restaurants served and have been wanting to re-create it. Today's recipe is the closest I've come!


Today's cast!


Sour cream, mayo, salt, and pepper are combined for the dressing. In the meantime, I put the frozen peas into a colander to help them thaw and drain.


After that, it's just a bunch of chopping. Interestingly, the recipe mentioned that Hormel bacon bits work much better than bacon that has been cooked up and drained. Who am I to argue? I added the bacon bits to the dressing along with chopped water chestnuts and red onions.


I de-stringed the Chinese peas. Sugar snap peas can also be used.


The peas and pea pods were combined with the dressing, then I popped it into the fridge.


The recipe says to refrigerate it for 24 hours before serving--I did it for about four. Before serving, I gave the whole thing a stir and added some additional freshly ground pepper. It was delicious! The dressing was creamy without being too rich and it was wonderfully crunchy and refreshing. The guys demolished it and everyone had high praise! It might not make up for the loss of Ryan's and Kincaid's but at least I can still have my favorite dish.

Here's the promised link:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits

Chetna's Chicken Masala