Refrigerator Pickled Beets

The last of Tom's beet harvest. Since we ate an abundance of roasted beets last week, I decided to boil the rest and pickle them. Refrigerator pickle recipes are great; they're easy to make and ready to eat in a very short period of time. One day I'll learn how to can so I can preserve them longer. Not today.


I was looking at two different recipes with slightly different ingredients. After I took this picture, I put the beets on to cook. Then I realized these ingredients were for the other recipe.


So pretend there are beets in this picture. This is today's cast!


This is a great shot of the inside of the chioggia beet.


I put them onto boil. They were small beets but they still took about 30 minutes after the water came to a full boil.


In the meantime, I mixed the brine ingredients in a medium pot. The mixture is heated until the sugar dissolves completely. A few minutes at a simmer and that's it.


The cooked beets were drained and the skins peeled under running water.


The color change always fascinates me.


Now it looks kind of like watermelon. Still quite pretty!


I layered the sliced beets into two jars and added black peppercorns every now and then.


Then the brine was added to each jar. It's important to fill the jar so the top beets are covered, too.


The jars were sealed and set on the counter for a couple of hours. After that, they need to be refrigerated and consumed within six weeks. I don't think that's going to be a problem! The brine is sweet-tart and will probably intensify a bit the longer it sits; I tried it just after filling the jars. The earthiness of the beets is still quite pronounced after the initial hit of vinegar! The ground mustard was barely discernible and I think the basic combination will lend itself well to other additions; I'm thinking thin slices of onion or possibly whole cloves!




Here's the promised link:

Refrigerator Pickled Beets

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits