Breakfast Cookies

These hearty cookies are definitely not low-carb but the carbs come from healthy choices such as dried fruits and whole grain oats. They are wonderfully easy to make and so versatile! The combination of fruit and nuts are endless and if you're feeling like indulging further, some chocolate chips would be a perfect addition as well.


Here's today's cast!


It was hot today. How hot, do you ask? It was almond-butter-kept-separating hot. I had to mix it really well and after I took out what I needed for the recipe, I decided to store the rest in the fridge.


This is a great one bowl recipe! The dry ingredients went in. The stuff that looks like mac and cheese is actually mashed bananas.


The practically liquid almond butter, maple syrup and applesauce were added.


Though the mixture is very thick and heavy, it's quite easy to combine everything together.


The mixture was measured out in 1/4 cupfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment. I used my knuckles to flatten them a bit. 


The cookies don't spread in the oven so they don't have to be spaced very far apart.


Such an incredible variety of texture!


About 14 minutes in the oven at 325F and here they are! I left them to cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes and then slid them onto the rack to cool completely.

Hearty is the word! Think "energy bar" rather than "cookie." This is definitely a heavy snack or a light meal! 

We all enjoyed the texture and flavor. In another week or sooner, I will be making them again; this time, with the addition of a little milk, Brewer's yeast and flax seed. My daughter is due to give birth and apparently these lactation cookies are good for nursing mothers. I'm sure she'd prefer it with chocolate chips though!

Here's the promised link:

Breakfast Cookies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits