Keto-Friendly Bacon, Egg and Cheese Cups

 I love my carbs so going 100% keto is probably unlikely. Still, I figure anywhere I can cut carbs is a good thing, right? When I have the grands on the weekdays, healthy meals absolutely have to be planned ahead; both kids are carb lovers and if I ate what they ate...no, not a good idea, even though it is the most convenient. I decided to make these cups so I can grab and go for breakfast or lunch. Or both.


Here's today's cast! The recipe would have made six cups. Since I didn't see the point in leaving half of the tin empty, I doubled the recipe. Keto alert: the recipe calls for heavy cream. My cream had gone sour so I substituted whole milk. If you want to keep it keto, use the cream.


Half of the bacon was used to line the bottom edge of the tins. I used the microwaveable bacon so they were slightly less flexible


The other half of the bacon was chopped and placed in the bottom of the tins.


Eggs, whole milk, salt and pepper were combined in a bowl.


And given a good whisking!


Then the mixture was poured into the tins. At this point some of the bacon pieces began floating around and it was obvious that whatever "crust" they were intended to form wasn't going to happen. Maybe uncooked bacon would have created a better seal? Hmm.


I filled the cups pretty high.


Then I added 2T. of shredded cheddar jack cheese to each cup.


Since the tins were pretty full, I put it onto a rimmed sheet pan in case of spillage. It makes it easier to take in and out of the oven, too. The cups baked at 350F for about 35 minutes. 


They puffed up nicely and had a good color to them. The only problem is there was quite a bit of sticking on the bottom.  The recipe did not say to grease the tin before filling it and I am wondering if using uncooked bacon, which would have released more oil, would have prevented the sticking. The recipe also did not say whether the cups should be cooled completely in the tins, loosened and left for a certain amount of time, etc. I let them cool for about 10 minutes before I loosened them with a knife around the edges. Then I let them cool completely before removing them from the tin.


Basically, these are crustless quiches with quite a high proportion of bacon. They are tasty though and easy to make. The possible variations are endless, too.

There are a number of recipes that I am interested in trying. We'll see how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits