Pancakes for dinner

 Chris and I had a rather protracted conversation on the subject of pancakes and waffles a few nights ago. The discussion was quite far-ranging and included topics such as sweet vs. savory, toppings (type, amounts and combinations), size. We had a lot of leftover ham from last night's dinner so I decided to use it tonight alongside scrambled eggs and pancakes.


I don't have a set in stone pancake recipe so here's the cast for yet another version I tried.


Many of my recipes call for small amounts of sugar and salt. Rather than drag out the large containers, I keep these little containers on the counter for easy accessibility. Different lids and with labels on them, of course. Mixing them up would not be fun.


The dry ingredients are whisked together in one bowl.


The butter was melted.


Then the wet and dry were mixed together.


Whisk away!


The batter will still have smallish lumps in it. I let it rest for a few minutes.


I love this skillet--not only is it heavy-duty and heats evenly, it was gifted to me by my dear friend, Carmela Blank, when she began downsizing her kitchenware. Carmela was a founding member of my first chorus, Na Leo Lani. Her husband, Virgil, did the Chinese calligraphy painting in our living room. I miss them both.


I sprayed the skillet with nonstick and measured out the batter using a 1/4 cup measure.


Make sure the top surfaces get nice and bubbled before flipping them.


The pancakes were lovely; nice and fluffy with a slightly crisp edge. We ate them with the leftover ham, scrambled eggs and topped them with butter, maple syrup and apricot jam; not necessarily in that combination! The guys really enjoyed our breakfast for dinner and I think this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Here's the promised link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits