Chicken Shawarma

 I have been wanting to try this recipe from Nadiya Hussain since it was featured on her Netflix series.

 
Here's today's cast.


Most of the ingredients are spices along with corn starch and salt. I combined them in a bowl to make a dry rub.


Boneless, skinless chicken thighs were cut in half and drizzled with avocado oil.


Then the spice mixture was added.


Nicely coated and it smelled so good!


The chicken pieces were pressed flat into loaf pans--I had doubled the recipe so I used two pans. The chicken baked at 350F for 40 minutes.


Because the chicken was skinless, there was very little fat released; I had expected that the chicken's juices would further moisten the dry rub but it actually had not. The top surface wasn't dry or gritty, it was just not wet. I didn't have cayenne pepper so I substituted chipotle. It still packed quite a punch. In addition, I don't know if I made a mistake when I was measuring the salt but I thought it was a bit too salty--especially in a dish where the spices should be the star.

Fortunately I had made a turmeric rice to go with the chicken and they complemented each other perfectly. I also had cucumbers and broccolini as side dishes and they provided a nice cooling quality. The guys really liked it, especially with the rice, so I would definitely like to try the recipe again and perhaps reduce the salt some...a little less chipotle wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Here's the promised link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits