Food From My Friend: Corn Relish Salsa!

There are certain dishes I have a hard time resisting and my friend L's corn relish salsa is one of them. It's such a simple recipe and there's nothing out of the ordinary about it but if you give some to me with a bag of tortilla chips, well, I may share. Maybe.


Here's today's cast--the recipe calls for red onion but I had a Maui onion I needed to use. The recipe also calls for canned corn but I had some on the cob so I used that instead.


Canned blackeye peas are not always easy to find. I had to use the frozen variety today. I rinsed it in a colander to thaw it and I'm glad I did. There were several little twigs that got left behind in the processing.


If anyone knows how to get corn off the cob without making a total mess, let me know. You should see what ended up on the floor, on the counter...


I didn't feel like hauling out the Cuisinart today. It was a good day to chop. Since the chilies were already diced, I just worked on the onion and red bell pepper.


Half a cup of creamy French dressing and half a cup of zesty Italian vinaigrette, then everything gets tossed together.


The red onion would have added another spot of color to the mix. Next time.


It amazes me how much I tolerate large amounts of cilantro these days. Still wouldn't add it to soup or eat it by itself but in dishes such as this it's ok. This is a whole bunch, too.


I added black pepper but it really doesn't need salt if your goal is to eat it with tortilla chips.


And believe me, that is my ultimate goal when it comes to this! The texture of the peas was a bit firmer than canned but it still tasted reallllly good. Yum. I have made several versions that are similar to this but I think this is the one I like the most!

Here's the recipe:

Corn Relish Salsa

1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 (15 oz) can white/shoe peg corn, drained
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 red onion, diced
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/2 cup French dressing

L's Notes:
I subbed in the green chiles; I believe the original recipe called for jalepenos. Also, FWIW the person who gave it to me wrote ‘Kraft Zesty Italian dressing.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits