Thai Hummus

 I think my favorite "food group" is appetizers in the shape of dips and spreads. Whenever we have a gathering, I find I am hard-pressed not to fill up on these before the main dishes get served. Eating the leftover dips from a party the night before is one of my favorite breakfasts. Yup, I said it. Here's a spin on hummus that I have made a few times and really enjoy!


Here's today's cast--the recipe calls for green curry paste but I have not been able to find it so I substitute red curry powder.


Thinly sliced garlic was heated in the coconut oil until they became fragrant and translucent. Less than a minute, really.


I grated fresh ginger.

 
Roughly chopped the Thai basil.


And did the same with the lemongrass. Make sure you remove the woody outside bits; they really aren't digestible. Unless you're a goat or something.


This is a great "throw it all in the blender" recipe--the seasonings are added to the garbanzo beans, chopped jalapeño, sweet Thai chili sauce, coconut milk, peanut butter and lime juice; then salt and the curry powder were added.


The garlic and coconut oil finished things off.


The mixture is not going to get perfectly smooth but you definitely want to go until all the big bits are well-incorporated. 


Considering all the green items, it's not surprising that the mixture looks a bit like split pea soup. It's weird because my memory of it was it was slightly more red-orange the last time. Hmmm. Put it in the fridge to thicken and let all the flavors meld.


The mixture thickens up quite a bit when chilled and it is delicious with pita chips. I think the lime juice and lemongrass give it a wonderfully refreshing flavor; it's really pleasant and the jalapeño is just a tingle on the back end. 

Here's the promised link:

Thai Hummus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits