Saltine Cracker Toffee

I had a bit of an epiphany last week--I always thought I cooked and baked to reduce my stress. Turns out that when I am feeling especially overwhelmed, cooking can feel like just one more thing I have to do. Let's just say that last week was rather takeout heavy.

Then today I stopped by the Hallmark store at Windward Mall today and instantly felt happy/sad; I always buy the annual ornaments from there and there was a time when Aiden and I went to Windward Mall at least once a week to play in the kids' area and grab lunch at the food court. Now the play area is shut down and there was a mechanical Santa behind plexiglass for families to pose in front of. There was a long line, too...I guess my point is, no matter how crazy this year has been, people are hanging onto any semblance of normal and since I think I am luckier than many, I should, too. So, back into the fray.


Here's today's cast!


I can't remember the last time I ate a saltine cracker! The recipe called for one sleeve of crackers but next time I think I will just fill the tray.


Butter and brown sugar are heated together over medium-high heat.


The mixture is brought up to a boil and boiled vigorously for three minutes. This is the start of the boil.


This is the end of the boil--it's considerably thicker.


The mixture is poured over the saltines and spread around. As I said earlier, more crackers would have been good--not just because there was a fair amount of caramel but because a full tray would have prevented slippage.


I sprinkled sliced almonds over the caramel and popped the tray into the oven for five minutes.


The almonds had slid around quite a bit so some crackers had more than their share. I think I'll add the almonds after the baking next time.


Chocolate chips are sprinkled over the hot mess.  


The idea is to spread the melting chocolate chips over the top. I thought it looked prettier with chunky bits in it but I spread it around anyway.


I cooled the pan on a rack but it was such a warm day I decided to pop it in the fridge until the chocolate firmed up. Then I broke the toffee into pieces--sometimes keeping the crackers whole and other times not.
Nice, easy recipe for a rich, sweet-salty treat. The crackers stay slightly crisp and actually hold up pretty well under all that goo. 

Thumb's up all around from my gang!

Here's the promised link:

Comments

  1. I love Saltine Toffee and love the idea of adding almonds. I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you add anything else? I was thinking of dried cranberries for the tang but my son said he thought it would change the texture overall too much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits