Chocolate chip pie

So once upon a time Paula Deen was the Queen of Southern Cookery and she and her two adult sons, Jamie and Bobby, built an impressive empire of restaurants, cookbooks, merchandise and TV shows. At the height of their popularity, the Deen boys had their own show; that is where this recipe came from. I haven't made it in years and I thought it might be a fun, easy one for Layla to assist me with. Initially she was excited when I told her we were making cookies. Then she asked if we were using sprinkles...aaaaaand she left the kitchen.

Interesting aside--I didn't have enough brown sugar and though I could have used white, in terms of sweetness, brown sugar gives baked goods a very different texture. I found a recipe online to turn white sugar back into brown. 


I added a tablespoon of molasses to a cup of white sugar.


I used a plastic rice paddle to mix the molasses into the sugar. The rice paddle was a good choice because I could use its edge to sort of chop up the lumps.


After about a minute, it looked like this. I kept breaking up the chunks and in a very short time...


Ta-da! It was weirdly satisfying.


Here's the cast!


My assistant dumped the brown sugar into the butter, along with the white sugar, then decided if no sprinkles were involved, she would not be party to this madness. Fine, I don't need you anyway.


I creamed the softened butter with the sugars.


Vanilla extract and the eggs were mixed in next.


Then the dry ingredients were added and mixed till just combined.


Chocolate chips!


The mixture was divided into two greased pie pans and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes.


Golden brown goodness!


So it's not a cookie, not even a chewy one, nor is it a brownie. It is moist and delicious though! I have to remember this during the holidays; not only is it a tasty treat, it makes two whole pies--one to give away and one to keep!

Here's the promised link:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits