Family Favorite: Easy Apple Coffee Cake

This easy and fast coffee cake got even easier with Mary Birtwhistle's lining paste! I have mentioned I am not a huge cake fan but I do like fruity ones. Yes, even the much-maligned Christmas one.


Today's cast!


The cake and pudding mixes were incorporated in a bowl. 


The wet ingredients--sour cream, eggs, and vegetable oil, were combined in a separate bowl.


The Dutch whisk did double duty today.


In yet another bowl, sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans were combined.


The wet ingredients were combined with the cake and pudding mixes--the resulting batter is very thick.


Enter the lining paste! I used a silicone brush to get the paste into every nook and cranny and all the way up the sides of the bundt pan.


As I did this, the lines from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" echoed. If you don't know the reference, do yourself a favor and watch that movie.


Half the batter was placed in the bundt pan.


Half the apples were added next.


Then half of the cinnamon-sugar-pecan mix.


The layers were repeated and this is what it ends up looking like. The apples and cinnamon mixture have major stick potential. Hope the paste works!


Into a 350F oven for about an hour. Next time I think I'll take it out a tad earlier since it cools in the pan for about 30 minutes. 


I did not obsessively loosen the cake as I normally would. Just used a knife in a few areas that had melted sugar adhering to the sides. I shook the pan a bit and it came out quickly and easily. Success!


The cake is light, moist, and the apples and nuts provide lovely contrast. The recipe calls for 6 apples--I tend to use 4 but I think it might be able to handle more. Especially now that I have a sure-fire removal method.

Here's the promised recipe:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits