Julie T's red rice

Julie and I worked at the Blood Bank together and she's truly one of the nicest things to come out of my two years there! She and her husband are big foodies and the dishes they make are often featured on social media, along with their sweet girl who learned how to imitate a tortoise's hiss in one try! Julie posted this red rice recipe a couple of times and was kind enough to share it with me.


Here's the cast!


I love recipes that consist of dumping most of the ingredients into a bowl! The tomato paste, Better Than Bouillon, and Maggi seasoning were stirred together. Julie's recipe actually calls for the chicken flavored Better Than but for some reason I only had beef and vegetarian. I thought I always had the chicken. Guess not!


Julie's recipe said to "go hog wild with fried minced garlic." I started with seven cloves and put some color on them in the frying process. Then I added them to the seasoning mixture.


I cooked the jasmine rice in my cooker ahead of time. I added the hot rice into the mixture, stirred it around...


And that's it! It had a gorgeous color and a slightly sweet, tomato-y, umami flavor. I think I can go wilder on the garlic next time but I could definitely taste that they were there!


I had salmon skins from the night before so I lightly sprinkled them with salt and pepper, fried them till they were crisp, and added them to the rice.


The salmon skins and rice worked beautifully together! Eric wasn't home but the boys really liked it!
Thanks, Julie!

Here's the promised recipe:

Red Rice
Courtesy of Julie T.

5T. tomato paste
5T. Maggi seasoning
5 tsp. Chicken Better Than Bouillon
fried minced garlic
4 c. cooked Jasmine rice



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kincaid's/Ryan's Grill-Style Pea Salad

Anthony Bourdain's Macau-Style Pork Chop Sandwich

Paul Hollywood's Mum's Ginger Biscuits